BACK IN THE GRIND

 




So after Ha Long Bay and the USOP series, I spent a few days in Hanoi. While in Hanoi, I took a shot at one of the "Relax" events during the RPT series and didn't fair too well. I said - fuck poker, let's just enjoy being a tourist. I only had three days in Hanoi anyway and so I did that. Ate some great food, met some amazing people and drank a lot of beer.

Now, back in the Philippines, after a rest from the work and the fast-paced vacation, I tried to get my mindset ready to play the Metro Card Club's METRO MILLIONS tournament. For a buy-in of only PHP 1,500 (~USD 25), there was a chance to earn a share from the PHP 1 million guarantee (~USD 16,300). I prepared myself by practicing online at GG Poker, where I jumped in at one the $5.40 Bounty Hunter Specials, where I ITMed 80th/3,268 for $27.50 plus $14 in bounties. Spent two bullets. 




I also played the $25 GG Masters $40K Guaranteed, which was a freeze out format and finished 120th for $81. I could've ran deeper, but it was 2AM and I had been playing for over 12 hours. I think I already made my point that I could find the patience and the mindset to run deep. In hindsight, I should've just sat out and blinded out and took a nap instead of intentionally bombing. Oh well. Everything is 20/20 in hindsight.

So Day 1B of the Metro Millions. Ran deep past registration time, but failed to bag. My short stack got crippled by some dude who bought the river. 




I couldn't recover after that. Then, in Day 1C. I had grinded rather well. That table was tough. No huge pots being contested. Everyone tight and calculated. Fold when they didn't have anything and just enough of a right gamble. It took me 7 levels to just keep up with the average stack and stay a little above. And then an idiot came to the table. With blinds at 1,000. He jumped in under the gun for 3,000 and found a caller. On my big blind, I had Ace-Jack and fired a raise to 21,000 - easily covering the idiot's 20,000 starting stack. He called. 

I was expecting a monster hand, but he showed 5s 4c. Not even fucking suited.


Flop came 8-J-5... I was still ahead. Thank god! But the fucker hit a 5 on the turn. A few hands after I was all in with AK. And it went three-way. AK v A9 v 55. The 55 had the covering stack. Long story short - the fives held. I had been playing so well. Event the guys at the table couldn't help but feel my pain over the ace-jack, telling me he's a fucking fish. Maybe one time, they should allow you to slap a guy for playing stupid.

Anyway, since it was still the height of rush hour traffic. I went and played the 25/50 cash game. Found some magic there, making straights, nut flushes and full houses and getting paid. And I was on A-game mode and mentality. There was no way I was going to lose what I built. Just keep building.

Bought in for PHP 5,000 and cashed out for 22,875. Refer to the picture above or below. So much fun stacking so may chips.



Anyway, I'm thankful I know how to play this game well and earn from it. Might not be life-changing millions, but it's a step in a good direction. And I'm positive in my money-chart which is a good thing. Will take a rest today since Day 1C and all that happened last night. And then, I'll just jump in on Day 1E and 1F. Hopefully, there won't be a need for 1F.

Comments