Play Online Poker

7.01.2010

JJ Duque Places 76th In $1K Guaranteed Pot Limit Hold'em & Omaha Tournament

 646 poker players qualified for the $1,000 Guaranteed Pot Limit Hold'em & Omaha event of Full Tilt Poker through the FTP Fantasy Poker League. I was able to earn my seat through the success of Andy Black, David Chiu and Steve Zolotow at this same kind of tournament in the 2010 World Series of Poker. David Chiu was the big points earner for me.

The Pot Limit Hold'em & Omaha tournament basically means that different games will be interchanged once the level changes. First round saw Pot Limit Hold'em action while the second round saw Pot Limit Omaha action.

I did well early in the Pot Limit Hold'em section to boost my chip stack up, but got hit at the Pot Limit Omaha section making loose calls, chasing for hands that weren't even the nuts. Like, for example, I would have a 17 outer for an open ended straight draw and flush draw, but when I spiked my flush, it would've been out-kicked by a better flush.

In retrospect, although I do understand the concept of Omaha, I still have to learn to fold more hands on the flop, especially if I might be drawing to only second best, as was the case with the flush. However, Omaha gives good training in seeing what the nuts could be, and what hands could have me beat, and it invokes some discipline to fold a lower straight when a higher straight is out there. And to avoid such situations, I have to rethink my starting hands to see if they have good odds to begin with. When playing Omaha, high pairs and suited connectors are nice, and preferably both in the hole.

When the game shifted again to Hold'em, I once again built my stack. I guess my prowess at Hold'em stll outweighs my skills at Omaha. After all, I'm still more fluent in Hold'em.

Anyway, without much fuss. I played well enough to get ITM at 76th place with 90 places paid. And for my effort, I won $2.50, which I will probably use to play the Daily Dollar Rebuy at Full Tilt Poker with a guaranteed pot of $10,000. The first place prize of $205 would've been sweet, but for me I'm just happy to make it in the money, and have the opportunity to brush up on my Omaha, and continue the learning process.

As they say in poker - you can never stop learning.
Play Online Poker

No comments: